- Publish Date
- Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 3:43PM
Nutrition Australia have updated their food pyramid for the first time in 15 years. And it's fantastic!
Check the new pyramid out here:
Check the old pyramid out here:
Here are the major changes:
- The pyramid is now separated into five sections…. Not three. This gives us a much clearer picture of what our diet should look like.
- This gives veggies precedence over breads and cereals. Finally!
- There’s so many greens. We see bok choy, pak choi, green beens, broccoli, zucchini, basil, rosemary and lettuce – and you know we all love our greens.
- More nutrient-dense whole grains are included. Like quinoa, cous cous, soba noodles and oats.
- Margarine has been taken off the pyramid!
- There’s no allowance for added sugars.
- Fruits and veggies have different weighting. The new pyramid calls for about three times as many veggies as whole fruit.
- There’s no junk food at all. Not even in the “sometimes” area like the original pyramid.
- Good fats are actually good. The old pyramid has margarine and reduced-fat spreads in the “sometimes” food. Now this spot is reserved for healthy fats like olive oil and almonds.
- Spices and herbs have been included. We love this addition, as they are some of the most nutrient-dense morsels going around!
- Avocados are included in the “eat most” section. Now we don’t feel bad about having avo everyday!