- Publish Date
- Thursday, 23 June 2022, 9:49AM
Let's be honest ... there is nothing more delightful than a perfectly made golden and crunchy toastie.
Are we right?!
But just where can you find the tastiest toasted sandwich in New Zealand?
The judges in this year's Great NZ Toastie Takeover have a difficult decision ahead as 13 outstanding finalists across six regions have been announced in the battle for the country's top toasted sandwich.
Competition criteria require sandwiches to be toasted between two slices of bread and – like all respectable toasties – able to be eaten by hand.
The toasted sandwiches also needed to contain cheese (or a vegan substitute) and McClure's Pickles, with all the other ingredients left entirely to the entrants' imaginations.
And the finalists are:
· Archie Café: Pepper Pig - Hot pork, double cheese blend, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, mustard and sriracha on toasted sourdough.
· Wynyard Pavilion: Low 'n Slow - Low & slow smoked wagyu brisket, Massimo's mozzarella, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, truffle aioli and Old Yella habanero mustard.
WAIKATO / BAY OF PLENTY / COROMANDEL / ROTORUA
· The Public Office (Ngatea, Coromandel): The Smoky Pork & Pickle - Cider braised pork, smoky wood sauce, melted gouda and McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, topped with crispy fried pickles.
· Okere Falls Store (Rotorua): Get Smoked, Pickled + Toasted - House smoked, beer brined brisket, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, hop salted mozzarella, smoked cheddar, watercress and horseradish on Bread Asylum X Lumberjack Brewing spent grain sourdough with pickle brine sour cream and a beer gravy dipping bowl.
CENTRAL NORTH ISLAND
· Toastie Ohakune (Ohakune): Owen's Missus, Who Takes No SCHMACK - Corned beef, pickled carrots, Pepper & Me 'Schmack Sauce,’ McClure's Bread & Butter Pickles and four cheeses.
· Best Burgers (Havelock North): A Cluckin Patty Melt - Chicken fried Best Burgers patty, Swiss cheese, bacon & onion Jam, McClure’s Bread & Butter Pickles, Best Burgers Special Sauce on house potato bread.
· Brew Union (Palmerston North): Pork & Rye - Pickled pork, jalapeno, date and smoked gouda cheese sauce, American mustard mayo and McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles on rye bread.
· The Offering (Greytown): Beef Greytown (Our take on a classic) - Four cheese blend with Parkvale mushrooms, onion and baby spinach, thyme and parsley to form a spread, French mustard, pulled hot smoked rump beef with a chipotle BBQ Sauce, McClure’s Bread & Butter Pickles, white cheese sauce, all nestled between toasted marble rye bread.
UPPER SOUTH ISLAND
· Little Nessie Café (Nelson): Toasted Reuben - Pastrami, Swiss cheese, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, sauerkraut, secret sauce.
· BEERS (Christchurch): Lamb Margera - Smoked lamb shoulder, Swiss cheese, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, kimchi and onion rings on sourdough.
LOWER SOUTH ISLAND
· Morning Magpie (Dunedin): Tickle My Pickle - Organic sourdough, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles with house pickles, a big slab of Evansdale cheese, served with a dipper of tomato soup. (Also a finalist in 2021)
· High Country Salmon (Twizel): Loco Mexicano - Cold smoked salmon, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, corn salsa, avocado, cheese, spinach, cornflakes and chilli mayo, in toasted rye sourdough. Served with fries.
· Johnny Crema (Food Truck, Frankton, Queenstown): Reubie Roll - Corned beef, horseradish béchamel, McClure's Sweet & Spicy Pickles, all rolled up on a divine slice of European Bakery jumbo loaf, served with crisps.
The competition's supreme winner will be announced on July 27.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you