- Publish Date
- Wednesday, 5 January 2022, 9:49AM
Whether you try this ham and potato cakes recipe for brunch or a light lunch, it's a delicious way to use leftover ham.
Total time: 40 mins
550g Desirée potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
300g cooked smoked or unsmoked ham, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
1tsp English mustard powder
2tbsp curly parsley, finely chopped
A little flour, for dusting
2tbsp sunflower oil
Salad and mayonnaise, to serve
- Steam the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, cover with a clean tea towel to remove any excess moisture, then mash.
- Place in a bowl and add the ham, egg, spring onions, mustard powder and parsley. Season and mix well.
- Divide the mix into 8 equal portions and shape into small cakes. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight if possible.
- Dust the cakes lightly with flour, tapping off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot, carefully add the cakes. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown.
- To serve, drain on kitchen paper and serve with the salad and mayonnaise on the side.
Wash the peeled potatoes in cold running water to remove as much starch as possible. This will result in a dry, fluffy mash that will crisp beautifully when fried. For extra flavour, add 1tbsp each of wholegrain mustard, chopped shallots, cornichons, capers and parsley.