- Publish Date
- Thursday, 14 April 2022, 1:54PM
We are literally a hop, skip and jump away from Easter which means it's time to prepare for the annual overload of hot cross buns.
And what better way to shake up Easter than with air fryer hot cross bun chips?
Kitchen extraordinaire Elle Vernon has gone viral after she shared her new take on the Easter classic.
These crunchy little bites of heaven serve six people and only take 18 minutes to whip up!
- 3 traditional fruit hot cross buns
- 50g butter, melted
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce
- Cut each bun in half widthways, then each half into 3 batons.
- Place into a bowl and drizzle over half of the butter. Toss, drizzle over remaining butter and toss again.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top, toss to coat.
- Combine sugars on a dinner plate. In batches, press batons in the sugar mixture to coat on all sides.
- Arrange batons in a single layer, in the basket of your air fryer.
- Set temperature to 180°C and cook for eight minutes, or until chips are golden brown.
- Serve hot, with chocolate sauce on the side to dip in as desired.
If you're after a healthier option, serve the chippies with vanilla flavoured coconut yoghurt.
Or skip the dipping sauce completely, and enjoy them just as they are.